Contempt of Court

What is contempt of court in divorce?

If a spouse is in violation of their divorce decree, there may be a motion filed for contempt of court. Contempt of court may be filed for situations such as child support payments being withheld, visitation being violated, property payments being suspended, and more. Being held in contempt of court is a serious offense, which may result in jail time, fines, payment of your ex-spouse’s attorney fees, and/or an installation of a restraining order.

empty courtroom

If you are filing the motion for contempt of court against your spouse, the burden of proof is on you. Therefore, it is important to work with a proficient attorney at Williford, McAllister, Jacobus & White, LLP to outline the requirements for filing a contempt of court motion and help you prepare for the process to enforce these items in court.