Can I appeal my divorce or child custody judgment?

An appeal is a request, made after the final judgment, that the case be heard by a different court.  Appeals are different from modifications in that they must occur very soon after the final judgement is rendered, usually 30 days.

During this process, you are appealing a trial court’s decision to a higher court. With a divorce or child custody modification , you are not appealing to a higher court. Instead, you are asking the same court that entered a prior judgment modify its prior judgment. A divorce or child custody modification must be based on a material change in circumstances having occurred since the previous judgment. Our family law attorneys have many years of appellate experience and can guide you through the appeal process.

building - Mississippi Court of Appeals